Sunday, January 3, 2010

Skiing for Inspiration

Quote of the day: "Winter: A white, calming renewal." - unknown

I woke up later than usual this morning. I followed my daily ritual: first, pull my knees to my chest a few times to wake up the body and back. Then, swing those legs around to the side of the bed, but before I stand up, I reposition my slippers for easy entry. Following my first step I pull aside the curtains to see what it looks like outside. Today, with great surprise, there was snow…tons of snow. It was “dumping” as they would say in the ski towns. The snow was fat, but light; soft and fluffy, yet firm. It was heaven for a ski lover.

Without hesitation, I rushed downstairs to tell my dear husband that I would be heading out for the day, as soon as humanely possible, to head to the best forest-skiing trails in the Syracuse area. (He’s so patient with me. I didn’t even ask if he had any thoughts or plans for us for the day.) He tried to point out the danger in driving 25 miles or so south, but I quickly brushed asides his concerns as if he was the crazy one. He lovingly allowed me to be me and off I went to get the coffee brewing. I called one of the best playmates and girlfriends anyone could ask for to join me, and without any hesitation on her end, she agreed. The plan: get ourselves both some coffee and then get the hell out of the house and into the woods!

So much for my day of doing house chores and completing business tasks. With snow like this, toilet bowls and emails can wait!

We made it to the forest safely. The roads weren’t nearly as bad as my husband feared. Plus, I drive a Subaru Outback, so we were in the clear. We arrived filled with joy and excitement for the adventure ahead. We put on our ski boots, pulled the skis out the car, put our last layer of clothing on and off we went into the lodge. For a full day of cross country skiing in the woods, it only cost us $3 each! Can you believe that? It costs around $50 for a few hours of downhill skiing. Off we went, into the forest…the winter wonderland.

Seven miles and two and a half hours later, we circled back to the lodge soaked in sweat, snow and sisterhood. With each mile, we calmed our minds. With each glide of the ski, we exercised our bodies. With each breath of fresh winter air, we cleansed our spirits. We were happily exhausted.

With the snow continuing to fall, we felt it was important to get home before dark because of the driving conditions. Thankfully, the roads were easy to navigate, especially with Alicia Keys serenading us. Her new album is fabulous. After a hot shower and hearty dinner, I’ve begun to tackle my to-do list, and a funny thing has happened. I’m not feeling anxious about going back to work tomorrow and all that needs to get done this week. Oddly enough, I feel centered and in control. Not the type of control that’s domineering, but that feeling of being in the driver’s seat. I no longer feel afraid of losing my Self in the tasks ahead of me. And with me being by my side, I no longer feel so lost and alone.

Thank you to the snow and the woods.

1 comment:

  1. I say, spend more time in the woods. Nature can be consistently grounding.

    Did you know that they make new snow shoes for running sneakers? There's an idea for you too, jilly:)

    ReplyDelete