Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

I’ve been stewing over today’s blog entry, trying to listen within to what pops us. And honestly, I don’t hear anything.

Here lies a problem.

It’s not that we need a profound thought to share each day, or that we need to say something just to say something. Every day, regardless of what’s actually happening, writers tend to have the ability to create a conversation based on their own reflections. This could be something as simple as nature, to something as complex as relationships, to something even more complex as our relationship with our Selves. The ability to observe life as an outsider while being a participant is what I believe lends to interesting writing. In order to do that, one must stand firmly within in order to gain such perspective.

I look like I’m playing a game of Twister right about now. I’m all over the place.

I just can’t seem to carve out that “time” each morning to center myself. And really, how the heck is it supposed to be done? Do we not sleep? Do we ignore our house chores, partners, kids, jobs, commitments? How does the modern-day woman find her balance?

There are countless articles printed in pop magazines that address this challenge and books. You know the ones I’m referring to, the “How to Reduce Your Stress in 5 Easy Steps” articles or the “Find Your Inner Balance” books. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Can you sense where my emotional self is today?

I don’t know about everyone else, but this is what happens to me when I’m tired. I’m totally useless. There is nothing rational about my joy today. It’s completely irrational, along with me.

Life can feel like a treadmill that has no stop button; not even the one that you clip to your shirt in case you fall off. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It just continues to go on, and on, and on, and on, whether you are ready or not.

I swear, Greg Anderson is speaking directly to me through the quote of the day. He’s saying, “Jill, shut the heck up! Stop your mindless wishing of things being different and start to find other ways to get what you want!”

I can hear his voice beating down on me. I don’t have any idea who he is, but I can still hear him. He sounds like the wizard in the Wizard of Oz.

Alright, Greg, I hear you. There must be a way to do it—to create the life experience we desire.

And, Greg replies, “Have faith. You know what to do. Now do it!”

I only hope Greg is not hiding behind a curtain like the wizard.

Well, look at that. I guess I did have something to say after all.

Quote of the day: "Stop the mindless wishing that things would be different. Rather than wasting time and emotional and spiritual energy in explaining why we don't have what we want, we can start to pursue other ways to get it." -Greg Anderson

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to remind you that it's good that there is nothing rational about your joy today especially since the title of your blog is irrational joy. love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete