Friday, January 22, 2010

The Passionate Pursuit of Passion

Quotes of the day: “Sometimes par is good enough to win.” – From the film, Tin Cup

“I will never substitute joy for practicality.” - Mazda commercial

Last night, as part of my resting within assignment, I decided to indulge myself in some of my favorite pop culture television shows. I was taking the night off from finding motivation within and decided to look outside myself, particularly to the primetime dramas drafted by highly talented screen writers. I hoped to find inspiration through their work, and fortunately, I did. Much to my surprise, there appeared to be a common theme shared.

It all started with a TV show about doctors—doctors who are chiefs, residents, interns, friends, lovers and haters. The main theme in question was whether one should choose the love of another over their most precious gift or talent. What an interesting scenario it created.

Stepping away from that for a moment, I then found myself very interested in watching an old movie about a naturally talented golfer who has chosen an off-the-beaten-path lifestyle (living in a Winnebago in West Texas) that contains his talents in a safe, non-threatening environment. Everything changes when he meets a girl and tries to win her heart by making “more” of himself, in society’s terms, through competing in a professional golf tournament against her boyfriend. His main challenge in life is that he always finds himself in situations where he could either take the safer road to victory, where he would probably end up being more “successful,” or risk it all through what has the potential to be an unbelievable shot. He always chooses to take the big shot, even though it costs him the competition. He stays true to his passion and inspiration, regardless.

Although these scenarios are different, the common theme I continued to ponder was the challenge people face when figuring out how to remain true their gift, which in many cases defines who they are, without retreating from the world—from lovers, family, society—to then end up in solitude.

Because I was so heavily influenced from yesterday’s couch surfing, I thought it was only appropriate to use two quotes that I heard last night while watching TV as the quotes of the day. I often wonder, when thinking about my own life, is par good enough?

As my spirit aches for more, yearns for more, the most obvious question is, more what? More life! More passion, more zest, more vibrancy, more purpose, more meaning…the list goes on and on. But why? Why isn’t par good enough to win? Why isn’t playing safe, where I win with steady paychecks and stable health insurance coverage, enough? Why must I feel the need to also take that big shot where all can be lost when others don’t?

Maybe it’s ego. Maybe it’s pride. Or, maybe, just maybe, it’s because there is a talent waiting to be shared.

I found myself connecting to the characters. I empathized with their love for their passion and their unwillingness to settle for less than what they feel to be true for them. And I also appreciated how the truth of love appeared, showing us that it allows people to be who they are, so you don’t have to decide.

If only I was passionate about something that would present such a clear profession as does the love of medicine or the perfect golf swing. I know I'm passionate about many different things, but none of them seem to equate to a profession.

If only there was a job for people who are passionate about living life passionately. Then maybe I'd be of some use, somewhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment