Thursday, January 7, 2010

Boiling Point

Quote of the day: “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – J.K. Rowling

Today, I am utterly and completely exhausted. Like clockwork, by the time Thursday afternoon comes, the wave of fatigue crashes down on me, sucking me under and pulling me in. Much like the winter waves in Hanalei Bay, Kauai, if you don’t hold still underneath the ocean’s wreckage, you’ll become wrecked yourself. I’ve recognized this pattern of fatigue. We meet every week about this time. Well, the weeks I’m not on vacation.

Tonight, in response, I choose to rest at home (underneath the wreckage) by finishing my blog entry and then curling up on the sofa to Sex and the City episodes on DVD that were checked out from the library. Side note: This is just one of my husband’s many strengths. He rented the entire box set for me the other day, unasked. What a guy.

As I wait for the tea pot to sing its wonderfully annoying song titled, “Boiled,” before I begin to dive into a Sex and the City marathon, I can’t help but to reflect on my day. In ways it was just another ordinary day, starting with a difficult wake-up (although you’d be happy to know the coffee trick has helped, slightly) followed by a rushed-to-get-out-the-door morning, to the usual hurry-up-and-get-me-to-work-as-fast-as-possible look I give to Biboti as he drives me to work. What was different though was I had a job interview for another position within the University. One hour, six interviewers and a writing test later, I rushed back to work, exhausted.

I’m not sure if I’ll be offered the job, and I’m not stressing about it. If they think I’ll be a good fit and I think I’ll be a good fit, then so it goes. If they don’t, or I don’t, then so it goes. No harm, no foul. All will be well.

Even as the fatigue drains my mental body and physical body, my spirit holds steadfast in its joy. I can’t exactly control how my body responds to the long work week and to what happens outside of me, but I can control the health and well-being of my spirit. And with her remaining seated next to the light of joy, hope and possibility, then all will be well accordingly.

I appreciate the words of J.K. Rowling in today’s quote of the day. It reminds me that the act of living can become the dream itself.

…And there she goes, singing her wonderfully annoying song…until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment