Monday, January 18, 2010

Give Love Life

Quote of the day: "Don't take life too seriously. You won't make it out alive." - unknown

As the weekend flew by like a whirlwind, I'm left a bit under the weather. I have some element of sickness circulating through my upper respiratory system. Thankfully I am off from work today, which allows me be more restful.

I have only a brief note for today and then back to resting...

Yesterday I had the pleasure of sharing in the joy of my aunt Sharon's 61st birthday. In honor of her, a group of 10 friends and family members went out to lunch. It was fairly fine dining. Sharon enjoyed her delicate squares with a cosmopolitan, while a few of us sipped down a bubbly mimosa. It was a pleasant afternoon meal followed by coffee, cake and presents at her house.

The highlight of the afternoon came when Sharon opened a gift from my mother, which was the quote of the day written in beautiful caligraphy, framed and matted. It was precious. Sharon told my mom she loved this quote and that she refers to it often when speaking to her staff at the office. You see, Sharon has suffered some terrible tragedies in her life, most notably being the loss of her daughter, Shelley. More than 40 years ago, Sharon and Shelley were in a car accident. Sharon barely survived, but Shelley didn't make it. I believe she was no older than 1 year.

This tragic event shaped Sharon's life and her Self. She is one of the most loving, caring, compassionate and giving women I know. Her ability to feel runs as deep as the ocean. What moves me the most about Sharon is her ability to persevere. She never, never gives up on joy, and most importantly, she never gives up on life.

As we cleaned up the wrapping paper from the floor, Sharon called us all to attention. She had something to say. She proceeded to comment on the quote of the day and how incredibly accurate it is...that it is precisely because of her ability to not take life too seriously that's she's been able to endure the losses. With heartfelt laughter and tears, Sharon thanked us for being in her lives...she thanked us for loving her...

How beautiful it is to love others, and to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment