Friday, February 26, 2010

Take the Good with the Good

Quote of the day: “As your faith is strengthened you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit.” —Emmanuel Teney; Professor of Psychiatry

I can honestly say that I believe in today’s quote and my life is changing accordingly. I still have moments every day where I want the answers, the details about how my future hopes and aspirations will play out. I want to know what’s going to happen, specifically, when I leave my job…how I’m going to earn money, how I’m going to be able to afford health insurance. Yes, I still want to know all of this, but the big difference I feel in my Self now is that now I don’t NEED to know.

Why don’t I need to know? Because I’m here today, in this very moment, without ever knowing I’d be here and I still managed to get here. Basically, what I am trying to say is that I’ve never known the details of the next step and it has always worked out. It would be nice to feel a greater sense of control of my big-picture life, but that’s just fear talking, or more accurately, a lack of faith.

This year it’s all about faith. Faith is the main motivator in all of my unscripted actions. I’ve noticed recently that when I ache for that feeling of control in my life I am able to soothe it more effortlessly by remaining present and not thinking too far into the future. Again, it is in the present moment that we create our future.

Bringing it back down to earth, yesterday we had an incredible snowstorm. Nearly the entire city shut down before the end of the work day and I had the joy of receiving an early dismissal from work—you gotta love that! Just like the good ‘ole days when you’re a kid and school gets closed. We even canceled classes at the studio, so my hubby and I had the day to just be together.

In our being, we played board games, cooked dinner together, watched a movie and gave each other the attention we both needed. It’s amazing how “full” a day can feel when it is not splintered into a thousand directions.

Unfortunately, today, the performance we had scheduled for this evening has been canceled because of more severe weather to come. This is the downside of the snowy season, but I must say, the upside far outweighs it. Earning extra income tonight would have been greatly appreciated, however, yesterday’s snuggle time proved to be priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment