Monday, February 1, 2010

One Down and 11 More to Go

Quote of the day: "Discover your own discontent, and be grateful, for without divine discontent there would be no creative force." - Deepak Chopra

In taking a moment to reflect, I’ve completed a month on this blogging journey of faith and destiny. While it may not look like a lot has changed in my life on the outside over the past four weeks due to a commitment to living faithfully, and with joy, there have been significant changes on the inside.

For starters, this voice of hope, joy, passion and purpose is no longer a distant noise in the dark corner of my Self that comes alive in moments of retreat and silence. The daily check-ins of mindful communication with my Self and putting it down in words has given it more breath, strength and life. A shift in position is occurring. The voice of fear, lack and need isn’t commanding the attention it once had. It is now becoming the distant noise…the after-thought.

Over the past 27 blog entries, I’ve begun to discover the source of my discontent, which time and time again points to a wanting or a needing…that I need something out there, anything, to fill me up, to satisfy this need of more…more passion, purpose, love and joy. The discontentment feels like an insatiable hunger.

Deepak Chopra speaks to this discovery of discontent and finds value in the quest, “for without divine discontent there would be no creative force.” As his words of wisdom so often ring true for my spirit, I have felt and acted on a number of creative surges in January, all of which occurred from the inside out.

This is what I find to be so fascinating about the discovery process…It’s been purely in the act of discussing the daily conversations, conflicts and confusions within my Self that I’ve been able to bring to light the source of my discontent, to put it out there, which has in turn reduced its hold on me.

It’s amazing how the process of becoming emotionally and spiritually fit compares to becoming physically fit. In giving attention to the disciplines each day, we become more of want we dream to be. Without the attention, they remain a dream.

In just four short weeks I’ve changed the outside of my life from:

1. Dreaming about writing to writing every day.

2. Wishing for a stronger lower-back and core region to prevent further and future injury to doing 10 minutes of core work each day, which have already made a noticeable difference in regards to pain—not to mention my clothes fit even better and I overall feel stronger.

It may not seem significant, but these two changes are huge for me. They are tangible actions of change. They are the result of a commitment to find joy in each day and I’m so thankful already.

I can only wonder what this next month will bring...and so the journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment