Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Working Girl

Quote of the day: “Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee.” —Michel de Montaigne; Essayist, Author

I’m off for another on-campus meeting in a new department. This is my fourth since February. I’m simply trying to personally interact with different areas on campus that are of interest to me, and the woman I met with on my second meeting suggested I make this appointment.

I had applied for countless jobs within other departments and couldn’t even get an interview until the last one. I understand everyone struggles with “getting employers to look past the resume,” which is why I’m seeking out face-to-face time.

One of the many fringe benefits of working at this university is the short-term counseling that’s available to staff. It’s part of the employee assistance program. Like with the rest of our benefits, I’ve taken full advantage of it. To me, one of the greatest joys in life is being to talk with an unbiased person openly and honestly about my feelings, thoughts, hopes and concerns. And on the flip side, I thoroughly enjoy being on the other end of the conversation for others. We NEED to express ourselves like we need to drink water.

That’s two days now I’ve written similes regarding water. Hmm. I must be thirsty.

One of the suggestions the counselor made to me more than a year ago was to identify the departments on campus that were of interest to me and to schedule meetings with the heads to introduce myself. She believed my in-person energy would be the difference maker in me finding new and creative work within the university setting. I appreciated this suggestion and thought it was a good idea, but for some reason I wasn't ready to act on it then. Now, I guess I am ... all in due time.

Anyways, I’ve thrown any expectations I could have for this meeting out the window. It all feels quite anti-climatic, actually. I kind of feel like I’m just going through the motions, which I wouldn’t think is the best space to be in when you’re about to meet with a prestigious administrator. Hopefully spirit will move me when I sit down face to face with her.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment