Thursday, April 1, 2010

Never A Dull Moment

Luckily spirit did move me once we sat down to chat, and I left her office an hour later. It was a reflective conversation. At first, she asked me what I was interested in doing, and just like that, I began expressing thoughts and ideas I hadn’t really formed or expressed externally. In a matter of moments, I was presenting myself as a presenter of mind/body/spirit workshops with and not with dance.

Hmmm. How did that happen?

All I know is that my spirit must have been present because my rational self would have never said that. I did notice my rational self jump in the conversation at one point when she mentioned a job opportunity in her department. Although it didn’t necessarily speak directly to my areas of interest, I heard myself make a comment about my “openness to all opportunities.” Even though this statement is very true, if I am being honest, I said it because I got scared…scared of positioning myself solely as an artist.

The conversation about my interests ended after 20 minutes and it seamlessly transitioned into discussing her life path. It was incredible. She is a very open and honest woman, much like myself, so basically, we just shot the shit. I asked her how she got to where she is today, and with a smile of her face, she said, “A lot of luck.”

For the next forty minutes we discussed some of the ups, downs, twists and turns in her life. It was captivating. Her energy and enthusiasm for life were infectious. My favorite part of our conversation was when I asked her if she had ever “leaped” and she said, “All the time! I always take risks.”

I loved that.

No comments:

Post a Comment