Thursday, April 8, 2010

Slow and Steady

Quote of the day: “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” —John Muir; naturalist, author

Today I have been creating my first “writing/editing” resume and have been putting together some samples for a meeting I have tomorrow. I finally have a finely tuned Communications resume, but it’s too generic for a writing job. Anyways, tomorrow I am connecting with the editor of a campus publication, which I love and have always admired, to introduce myself and my work for potential freelance opportunities with this publication. They work with freelancers on a limited basis, but I would fully embrace their limitations :).

As I’ve been sifting through my writing samples, it has been healing to read some of my past work. I used to write a column titled, “Living Well,” in a newsletter, which ran four hard-copy issues before it went electronic. I spent some time this morning looking over the columns and it was fascinating to read my words on “wellness of Self” back at me. Because of the deflated state I’ve been in, it almost felt like I was reading the words of a stranger…a livelier, more balanced and spiritually fulfilled person than I. But yet, it was me who had written those uplifting and honest words. The best of me.

Thankfully, the feeling of a stranger lasted only for a moment, and with much grace and ease I began to feel my Self again as the voice of my written word gave breath to a sleeping beauty. She has yet to fully awaken, but at least I can feel her beginning to show signs of life. It’s a slow process, always, transitioning from the fatigue. As with hiking, which I love, you don’t just suddenly get to the peak. It requires multiple steps and tremendous patience and perseverance.

Today, I have made it not only to the trailhead, but past it. I have begun the ascent, though I have a feeling I will be resting in a lean-to fairly soon. I don’t want to get too ahead of myself where I burn out on the rock face, fall and hurt myself.

Little by little.

Thanks for all your love from yesterday’s exposure. It's amazing how disclosing my emotions always helps me to move forward. Last night I managed to put away two baskets of laundry, the dishes in the dish rack and follow up on six items on my dance centre to-do list. That was an accomplishment for me, but not as significant of an accomplishment as me being honest with how I feel, free from shame and the judgment of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment