Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Magic In The Air

Quote of the day: “Over prepare; then go with the flow.” – Regina Brett, journalist

Today I was able to get outside for a jog on my lunch break. I haven’t done so since November because of the wintery mix. But today, the sun was out. The air was mildly cool yet cleansing. It was refreshing.

After coming back inside to complete my usual strength-training exercises, I couldn’t help but to ponder about the importance of getting “fresh” air, outside! Yes, there is air all around us. In our homes, in our workplaces, in our lungs…air is everywhere, thankfully. But there is just something magical or medicinal about the air outside.

When I was jogging, the usual thoughts raced through my mind: Who are you? What do you want out of life? What are you passionate about? What do you like doing? How can you serve others? How will you earn money? How can you leave a job without a job in this economy? How will you afford healthcare? What will you actually do?

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

These thoughts so often rumble through my brain that I feel like they are now becoming a part of me, kinda like the beauty mark on my face, only I wouldn’t describe them as a mark of beauty. Most of the time they feel more like acid reflux disease—irritable and unforgettable.

But today, the cool, crisp, refreshing air soothed my symptoms just as my mother’s over-the-counter Titralac soothes her esophagus. As the thoughts came in waves, instead of getting dragged into the undertow, I was able to stay afloat and ride them to shore.

As Regina talks about in today’s quote, I’ve realized these thoughts are my way to prepare. They may not all translate into tangible tasks or resolutions in the present moment, but that is what I anticipate will happen as I go with the flow. That’s the whole purpose of this experiment. To document what happens when you go with the flow…with faith in a destined outcome.

Maybe all that fresh air has gone straight to my head and froze any sense of rational thinking I have left. Or, maybe it has awakened my skin, rejuvenated by body and ignited my spirit. All I know is that I feel better knowing what I don’t know.

Surfs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment