Monday, June 28, 2010

The Delicate Art of Balance

Quote of the day: “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” —Helen Keller; author, lecturer, activist

Part of this “regrouping of Self” effort I’ve put into place over the past week has been to sit in silence. Oh, I forget how restful it feels to spend time alone, in the quiet, only to hear the sound of the moment. I think it’s truly the only time I am actually present. I love how you can feel the present in moments of silence. It fills me up like a delicious meal.

Another important element to this rejuvenation effort has been to spend more time in nature. Just the other day when I was spending some quite time alone my spirit was instantly drawn into memories of being on the beach in Kauai. Because it is such a special place of peace, harmony and balance for me that whenever I feel inklings of these feelings I am immediately reminded of my time there. The elements of nature are so exposed and accessible, and they always seem to spark visions and dreams for my future. Hopping on a plane and retreating to Kauai isn’t an option at this moment, so getting myself out in the beauty that surrounds me here in Central New York is a must, and has continually proved to be a necessity.

I am two weeks away from the leap and I find it ironic that before I was swept up into that crazy four-week span I was feeling calm, balanced and centered about the direction my life was taking. Even a few manifestations of creative work had appeared. Now I feel like I am slowly putting the pieces together to get me back to where I was prior to the storm. Truth to be told, there is no “going back” to how I was feeling before. It’s all about, and always is, moving forward from today with hope for balance and purpose. But I really do find it absolutely amazing how the center of our beings, though perfectly positioned in balance, can feel like a slippery slope with no grip in sight. I guess it’s all about building character … hmmm (see today’s quote).

No comments:

Post a Comment